May 16, 2017 By: m

Sunshine! Growth!

Finally, the sun has been out and I've managed to get most all the planting done, with the exception of the peppers.  They're not ready for transplanting yet.  I started them later this year than normal since I took up so much of my cellar seeding space and time with flowers - something I don't plan to do again.  Then again, plans have a way of morphing and changing in my world.

I'm finally getting some red-stemmed rhubarb!  The plants I rescued from a crowded patch of my mother's that wasn't being allowed to grow properly are gorgeous.  They don't have these red leaves in the old patch, so it's a wonderful surprise.


I don't know what variety they are - neither does my mother.  The starts from seed of 'Holstein' and 'Cherry Red' varieties that I put out this year are small, but growing nicely.  Their stems are quite red, but their leaves as yet are green.  I'll be interested to see if they, too, turn red when they're more mature.

The red-veined sorrel that was so slow to start is finally getting serious.  I have a few of them still in small 4" pots, and they really don't like to be exposed to full sun.  These are in the semi-shady part of the garden, and they seem to be managing okay.


They're transplants from seeds I started indoors, hence the nice spacing. I also had seeded some directly into the garden at the time I planted the lettuce, but it didn't seem any would germinate.  I've noticed a couple that finally did, but they're barely even visible at this point.

I love this 'Rocky Top'  lettuce mix from Baker Creek Seeds.



The only drawback is that I have no idea what each variety is.  They're all marvelous, though.  Look at this cute thing.


I've already made two sewings from this one packet of seeds, as well as saved some for late summer planting in hopes of a fall crop when these have gotten old and bitter.

The cabbages have taken off, but no heads are apparent yet.  I've noticed cabbage loopers in the area and a few holes in some leaves, so I've started a regiment of applying Dipel dust.  Dipel is the brand name for a formulation of Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis).  Bt pesticides are the protein crystals of a bacteria that kills only caterpillars (by actually physically cutting holes in their guts and then growing like a cancer - sorry everybody).  It's not harmful to any other beneficial insects or animals,and it has no effect on the plant.  DO wash it off before eating, of course (not that it would hurt you, but, yuck).  I have to admit, I do like to watch the white loopers flitting around.  They're among the very first butterflies and moths to appear in the spring.

The Chinese cabbages are in dire need of thinning, but I still can't bring myself to do it.  It looks so pretty!  A visiting neighbor suggested thinning them by eating  some of them like lettuce while waiting for the remainder to make heads.  We tried some.  The leaves are kind of rough but taste like Chinese cabbage - imagine that! - so I guess it could be done.

(l) 'Early Jersey Wakefield' cabbage, interplanted with Marigolds and Nasturtiums
(r) Chinese cabbage 'Hilton'

That same lady commented that my carrots were awfully thick.  


And here I was proud of myself for getting such a nicely spaced stand this year.  She should have seen last year's thicket!

The tatsoi and arugula are harvestable, so I've got lots of makings for lovely mixed green salads.

Tatsoi

The "shady" end of the garden: cabbages and leafy greens, beets in the back (upper left) just germinating

And...a favorite reward...raw tender baby peas!


This is the first year I tried this variety of peas.  Very tasty.  Loaded with pods.  No trellis needed!  'Improved Maestro' will definitely be the choice of the future.


The cucumbers and zucchini are putting out true leaves.  I'm still skeptical of the zucchini in the tomato cage, but I'm also willing to be impressed if they actually grow nicely in there.



Tomatoes are in (interplanted with marigolds).  I'll give them a little while to get going and then put cages around them.


I've got five rose bushes in my new rose garden, and Shazam! is the first to bloom.


I couldn't resist this birdfeeder for the wildflower garden.  The birds, however, are resisting it just fine.


A lot of work, but oh so satisfying

 View from the rose garden

 And the other rewards of spring...

Roses, Siberian iris, Columbine, Peony, chives, Missouri primrose, 
and whatever that white filler plant is!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your interest and your comments.