May 02, 2017 By: m

Water, Water Everywhere

I had planned to be planting the summer crops yesterday, but I've been put on hold by the weather.  From April 25-May 1, we got 5.75 inches of rain.  Three and 3/4 of that came on April 29.  I can't even scrape the weeds, it's so muddy.  I'm worried about the Salvia in the rose garden, because I don't think it likes soggy ground. I know it doesn't like cool weather, and yesterday seemed downright cold, with the high not even reaching 50 degrees!  That plot of soil was still wet when I uncovered it early this spring after sitting all winter under black plastic to deter weeds.  I hope the roses and herbs can handle it.  I have been amending the holes I dig for them with humus and manure, so hopefully that's been enough to keep the roots from drowning.

So far, the vegetables that I've already planted are holding their own and at least not under water.  The forecaster says we're to get another three inches (!) of rain tomorrow and the following day.  I'm building an ark.

My 20 little Lisianthus plants were not so lucky.  They were in a low spot at the edge of the garden, and were under water when I went out during a break in the rain a couple of days ago.  I had no choice but to dig them out and put them in some semi-dry potting soil until the rain is over and I can get enough soil from my compost pile to raise that low spot.  It stayed under water for almost two days.  I also had to dig up a new rhubarb plant that was nearby.  The compost pile itself is eroding from all the rain, so I don't know how long before I can get into that.

the Lisianthus patch completely under water 

20 Lisianthus dug up and repotted



Flooding at the northwest corner of the vegetable garden, and down the wildflower path 5/1/17

I tried to trench some water away from the Lisianthus so I didn't have to dig them up, but it wasn't working.  The water table was at the surface.

Although we've had lots of rain in the few years I've been gardening here (last year's onion and cucumber crops rotted), this is my first flooding.  The vegetable garden is on high enough ground that it drains well.  Still, there's a limit to what it can hold.  Fortunately, it hasn't flooded, but tomorrow may take care of that.  Fingers crossed.  Then I have to hope for enough sun and wind to start drying things up before the small plants' roots rot from being waterlogged.

It's a good thing I don't have to survive from the produce in my garden. What a layer of Hell is added to people's lives where there are no grocery stores or highways, not to mention property rights.  Let's don't go down that road in this blog.

The chives still look happy.


The Hostas are glorious.


As are the Clematis.


And the aphids in the wildflower garden are having a party.


They seem to be limiting their destruction to this one type of plant - and I believe it's the yellow coneflower, Ratibida pinnata.

I must get back to that ark.  Hope to see you in a couple of days.

UPDATE 3 hours later:  The weather forecast now predicts just under two inches of rain the next two days.  If they change it again, I hope it's in that same direction.

UPDATE 9am the following morning:  Sadly, they've revised it back upwards to 2.3 inches.  Still better than 3.  We shall see.

FINAL UPDATE:  The total turned out to be one inch.  It was more than we needed, but it was a relief from the probability we were expecting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your interest and your comments.