July 20, 2016 By: m

And So We Begin...

Welcome to my little (expanding) project - a vegetable garden whose main goal is to look pretty.  I'm late getting this blog started, as I've been at the project for two and a half years, but I always say, better late than when you're not ready.

The menu at the top of the page offers an introduction as to why I started this project, as well as the planning (such as why I don't have straight rows), methods, and a page for the critters who make things at least as challenging as the weather.

I don't just welcome comments, I want them.  Maybe we can have a little fun and learn a little something, and what else is life for anyway?

So...

My red romaine lettuce is bolting, so I hope to get some seed for next year if not later in the fall this year.  This is the first time I've planted Amish deer tongue lettuce, and I really like it.  It's firmer than many other leaf-type lettuces, and it has an interesting shape to add to a mixed salad.  In the past, I've never been much of a salad fan.  I generally agree with something I heard someone say years ago:  lettuce is just a vehicle for salad dressing.  But then, I had a salad at Catalpa, and Wow!  I wish I could make my own crackers, like Chef Liz does, but I have to be satisfied with mixed greens, sugared pecans and dried or fresh fruit.  Close enough.


That's celery making an L-shape frame around the lettuce...'Chinese White' on the left, and 'Tendercrisp' on the right.  They're very slow growers, so I started them indoors in mid-March this year.  I think I might start a little earlier next year.  

The low-growing plants are my second round this year of arugula and tatsoi, both direct seeded.  I never tried tatsoi before this year, and I found it to be wonderful.  It tastes a little like broccoli to me, and again, it has a firmer leaf than leaf lettuces.  It's great mixed with the sharp, peppery arugula.  I grazed right there in the garden on my earlier crop.

You can see there's a tree at this end of the garden, and I don't want to cut it down (it's a mimosa - very graceful and lovely), so that's where I plant my lettuces and other things that like a little shade.  This year, I experimented with putting a tomato plant and some okra at that shadier end, and, even at the periphery, they neither one appreciated it.

It's also the first year I planted cabbage and Chinese cabbage (Napa Blues F1).  I put them at the periphery of the tree's shade, and for the first several weeks, the tree didn't even have any leaves, but I still think maybe they needed more sun.  I got three or four good cabbages and one pathetic Chinese cabbage, and the rest I pulled out and tossed on the compost pile.  A friend tells me she only plants her cabbages for a fall crop.  I direct seeded some on June 30, but along with the second round of tatsoi and arrugula, the bugs are out making tiny holes in them.  I don't use chemicals, and if it weren't so darned hot (upper 80s and low 90s all of June, and upper 90s going on two weeks - ugh!), I might care to check into the issue.   But since I don't want to deal with it, I'm just letting them be a ground cover.  See?  It's all good if you don't demand things always go according to your wants.

My cucumbers are just about to lay down and die.  I've been getting enough to eat, but not many to give away.  Either it's too wet (we've had tons of rain, even with the high temps) or too hot.  Or both.



But, my lima beans are looking good!



And so is my okra.  At least those that I planted where they don't get any shade after 9am or so.

I love this Mexican sunflower.  First time for me.  The seed was kind of expensive, and it didn't germinate well.  I hope to get lots of seed form this guy to save and grow next spring, and to give away some of these beauties.



Are you planting any of these things?  If so, how are they doing?  Where are you located?

Hope to hear from you happy gardeners.  And I know you're happy gardening.

Till next time.

1 comments:

m said...

Many apologies! I lost the comments from Jean and Glenna. I'm having some Blogger issues. I have a copy of them, however, and here they are:

from JEAN:
Sure am sorry to hear about the cucumbers but am certainly excited about the okra. You've shared so much with us from your garden we should be out there helping you. I can come pick lima beans! :) Love the blog, Sis! Love the blog!

my reply:
I wouldn't ask anyone to come help in this awful heat, but I appreciate the sentiment. Actually, if I don't succumb to the temptation to make the garden even bigger, it';s a manageable size right now. I'll let you know when the limas are ready to harvest. Come out any time, though. I'm getting plenty of okra.

from GLENNA:
I love the blog, too! I posted this on FB, but wanted others to know: try pantyhose on cabbage heads, and any vegetable that grows in heads, for pest control. Dotsy Twenter (Jesse and Andrew's grandma) used this method, and she always had the loveliest cabbages! Maybe you can give me some hints on how to grow ANYTHING in this heat in Texas!

my reply:
I will definitely try the pantyhose trick if I can't deal with the bugs. I have never heard of that. I've heard of making slings out of pantyhose for melons growing on poles (and tried that once - it made for a nicely round melon). I don't know about Austin, but I would think that it would be good for growing lots of things if you have the ability to get enough water to the plants. And if you can grow bananas and oranges, I will be so jealous. I had a banana tree at one place in Galveston but had to move before it bore fruit. They do grow fast. Annette built some nice elevated planters in her back yard in Madison. I think that would be ideal for a city garden. I knew a guy in Columbia who tore up his whole front yard and made a vegetable garden out of it. The neighbors weren't amused. Come to see me next time you are in the area and have time.

Thank you both for joining me!

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your interest and your comments.