April 21, 2022 By: m

Could it be that winter is over?

 Here's hoping we've seen the last of the freezing nights.


The tulilps and daffodils didn't seem to care.



'Guinevere' and 'Red Matador' Darwin hybrid tulips

The amazing cantaloupe that survived all winter long made a tasty treat for some critter recently - either rabbit or deer.  I guess it stuck out like a sore thumb.  Or is that a green thumb?


It finally felt safe to sow some seeds of 'Calima' green beans and 'Jung Orange' okra.

'Calima' green bean seeds in a furrow

The kale and other early greens I planted on March 2 are starting to actually be visible in the scattered straw I used for mulch.

'Russian red' kale

And the garlic I planted last fall made it through the winter just fine, if a little pale.


The onions I planted earlier this spring are up about an inch, but they are so crowded I decided that thinning them would be harder than replanting.  I'll leave them growing to pull for green onions and plant some more for the bulbs, being careful to space them well.  I used old seed (which I keep in the freezer) and didn't expect to get so much germination.  I'll know better next time.

The peas have made it to a couple inches high and have avoided being eaten.  I've helped by spraying Liquid Fence on them every three or four days.

'Premium' peas

I planted 'Premium', a large-seeded variety, again this year along a fence where moles gobbled the seeds I planted the past two years.  This year, I flooded the tunnel they had been using before planting the seeds, and apparently that did the trick.  

I've also planted 'Lincoln' peas, which were a sweet and prolific variety last year,  along with 'Lilian's Caseload', a variety I haven't tried before.  

The carpetweed, chickweed and henbit have gone crazy this year, and I don't have the energy to get it all out.  I'm going at it a little at a time, and I expect the flowers and vegetables will just have to compete.

Looking forward to some sunny days...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your interest and your comments.