June 24, 2022 By: m

Still roasting, no rain

I went away for 10 days, watering the vegetable garden to almost an inch of water by sprinkler before I went.  Everything there looked fine when I returned.

Not so lucky in other areas.  I didn't realize there was a raccoon trap propped open.  I know there was no bait in it, but during the wild tear they went on, one got itself trapped anyway.  I feel badly because I assume it starved to death in the hell heat we had while I was gone.

On the other hand, I'm really pissed at them for digging up and killing five potted saplings and for what they did to my new roses:



Also, before I left, there were beautiful white flowers on the 'Navajo' blackberry.


It looks like the raccoons took out their aggression on it while I was gone, breaking down large branches.  Maybe they were retaliating for their trapped comrade.

And, of course, that was the week the Japanese beetles showed up.


They hit the roses, which were looking really good before I left:


But, the vegetables were unharmed.  There was a load of 'Calima' green beans ready for harvest.


And some volunteer 'Cardinal' basil, which I was happy to see, because I didn't get any seeded this year.


All the tomatoes look great.  And there were three little ripe 'Supersweet 100' cherry tomatoes.  

'German Johnson' tomato

Before I left, I netted the 'Golden Muscat' grapes in case they got ripe enough to attract raccoons and crossed my fingers, thinking they'd probably just tear the whole thing down, trellis and all.  Fortunately, they were unscathed.  But I'm not holding my breath they'll remain that way.


The perennial bed, which didn't get any water, looks lovely.


drumstick allium

If anyone knows a rain dance, please do it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your interest and your comments.