March 07, 2023 By: m

Off to a new start

Every year the weather gets more and more unpredictable, so it hardly seems worth noting that this year the weather has been crazy.  At any rate, another gardening season is underway, with lots and lots of seedlings in a germination station and others already in a cold frame.  Fingers crossed they'll all become beautiful plants, and that I don't break down from all the planting out.

The hard work of clearing off the old arch that was falling apart is done.  I moved the 3-year-old grapes that were on it to a place at the edge of the wildflower garden.  I don't know if they'll live, but the raccoons were getting all the grapes anyway.

Beds for salad greens are prepared, and 'New Red Fire' lettuce and 'Seaside' spinach seeds sown.

I love this time of year when the perennials start to show themselves.  Daffodils are budding, alliums are well up, and perennial poppy foliage already lush.  Crocus are blooming, and tulips are coming up.  

oriental poppies, 'Jade Eyes' and drumstick alliums

'Ruby Giant' crocus

I almost missed the Sheila Ann mini iris.  I forget how early she blooms. Two years ago I planted 10 bulbs, and they didn't do well.  Only one has survived this year. I got them from Michigan Bulbs, and other things I got from them failed to thrive as well, so no more orders there.


I can find other Iris reticulata of varying blues and purples, but I haven't found Sheila Ann anywhere else, and she's by far my favorite.

For the first time, I was successful getting rose cuttings to root last fall, and this spring I have five little potted rose plants.  I want to keep them in pots this growing season to be sure they get off to a good start before they go into the ground, but I'll be gone for two weeks the end of May, and they'll need watering.  Something to consider for everything I plant this year.  Luckily, I have two good gardening neighbors I can ask for help.

More to come soon.  Happy end of winter!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your interest and your comments.