July 09, 2019 By: m

Air layering experiment update

In the previous post, I showed the results of my air-layering experiment on the 'Shazam!' rose bush in an attempt to get a clone.  Here was the picture:


I might have rinsed the little blob of roots for a better view, but it appeared to be a very delicate attachment, and I didn't want to chance knocking them off.   The leaves look pretty haggard, so I hope it's going to make it.  That was the wrong stem to use in the first place, as it had been damaged at the base by twig pruners.  Unfortunately, so had half or more of the other stems, and I didn't want to risk one of the few good ones left.  So far, this has not been a good year for the roses.  Too cold and wet for too long early on.

Anyway, the next day, I clipped off the two stems of the pink-flowered bush (whose name I don't know) where I made my second attempt to air layer, and this time I had much better success.

On one sample, there appeared to be only one root (which might actually have been a long fiber), along a white mass of callus - generalized cells that haven't determined what they're going to be.  They could develop into roots or scar tissue, which is what woody plants do to heal wounds, either one.



Again, apologies for not rinsing it for a better view.  I only thought of that on the second sample.  But you can see that the callus is forming at the edges of the stripped off area where the plant would be laying down scar tissue to seal off the living tissue.

This is the prepared stem after  being pruned from the mother plant:


Under the foil layer (which was there to protect the rooting area from being sun scorched), there was the plastic bag holding the rooting medium snug against the stem, and I could see roots had formed.



Once I carefully removed the medium, this is what I had:




I feel certain that's enough roots to support the little plant.  You can see that they formed at the top edge of the stripped off area, which is also where the callus is forming on the other sample.

I then clipped off the stem beneath the roots and potted it up, along with the other one that was still mostly callus.  


The one with all the roots was an "old" wood stem, and the one with the callus was this year's green growth.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the difference.

If I'd been serious about the experiments, I would have pulled off the foil to see if I could see roots before cutting them off the mother plant, but as it was experimental, I didn't really care if it were successful.  When I try to get clones of my favorite tea roses, that's what I'll do.  

Anyway, it was an encouraging experiment.

And I encourage you to experiment with your own plants in any way you think of.

Til next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your interest and your comments.